Defence Materiel Organisation
What we did for DMO
The F-111 Disposal Project was established to manage the retirement of the F-111 weapon system (aircraft) and the closure of the Strike Reconnaissance Systems Program Office (SRSPO). KoBold has enjoyed a long history in support of SRSPO and the F-111 Disposal Project. Our primary role in the project was management of the entire contracting process:
- activity reviews
- contracting strategy development
- preparation of request for tender documents
- administering approaches to market
- assisting in the evaluation of responses
- negotiating contracts and managing contracts
Specific projects in the contracting process
- Contract establishment for engineering support, repair and overhaul and supply support for the entire fleet of F-111 engines;
- Contract establishment for the destruction and disposal of the F-111 aircraft, the F-111 engines, surplus wings and related support equipment;
- Contract establishment for the digitisation of 6,000,000 pages of F-111 records; and
- Establishment of contract-like loan agreements with selected F-111 display organisations.
Other project responsibilities undertaken by KoBold
- Assessing the risks associated with the display of aircraft and engines.
- Preparing complex submissions to the USA Department of State seeking approval to change the use and management of the F-111 aircraft.
- Developing the schedule for the closure of SRSPO, coordinating and monitoring the execution of the closure activities and the F-111 disposal activities
- Managing relationships with numerous stakeholders in relation to the use of facilities, special equipment and contracted services.
- The commercialisation of the F-111 engine support was successful in ensuring the retention of a viable F-111 engine support capability through until the retirement of the aircraft. The F-111 destruction and disposal contract was completed successfully on-time and without incident and at a substantial saving in comparison to the budget and the original tendered prices.
- The digitisation contract was completed successfully and established new digitisation standards and processes for the digitisation of large quantities of records with large variations in format and quality.
- Implementation of the aircraft display arrangements is continuing but KoBold’s involvement has ensured that the aircraft transfer arrangements are proceeding smoothly, that the Commonwealth’s interests have been adequately protected and that the safety of the public has been assured.
- The submissions to the USA in relation to the display and destruction of the aircraft were approved in particularly short timeframes and are now being promoted by the processing agency as templates for use by other organisations.
Visit the Defence Materiel Organisation website.